The Zenhaven Mattress Review - Beating Back Pain The Natural Way
The Zenhaven mattress by Saatva is made of 100% pure Talalay latex that is not only kind on the environment but can work wonders for your back too.
Now you've probably slept on a memory foam mattress before.
And depending on your experience that may have put you off sleeping on foam mattresses for good.
Because sinking into the memory foam as you lie down can make some people's back pain (including my own) much worse.
But have you tried sleeping on a latex mattress instead?
If the answer is no then maybe it's time you should.
Because latex offers a completely different experience to sleeping on memory foam.
As not only is it springy enough that it offers you great support without allowing your body to sink in and 'get stuck'.
It's also supremely comfortable and offers great pressure relief.
While also staying far cooler during the night than memory foam.
Meaning you get a cool, comfortable and supportive night's sleep that will keep your back happy and healthy.
So if you've ever been curious to try a latex mattress why not give the Zenhaven mattress by Saatva a go?
Not only does the pure Talalay latex give you superior support, comfort and pressure relief.
The natural materials used and thoughtful manufacturing processes mean you get a really safe and healthy night's sleep too.
Which is a great combo.
So read on to find out exactly why I think the Zenhaven mattress is a good bet for those of us with back pain.
The Zenhaven Mattress At A Glance
- 10" thick pure latex mattress.
- 2 comfort levels in one mattress: medium and medium-firm.
- Made up of 4 layers of pure Talalay latex.
- As eco-friendly and natural as a latex mattress can be.
- Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certified free of toxins.
- Hypo-allergenic and fire retardant.
- Extremely durable.
- Made in the USA.
- 120-day free home trial.
- 20-year conditional warranty.
- One side of the mattress is medium-firm, the other is a softer medium so you can choose which you prefer.
- Latex comfort layer gives the elevated feeling of weightlessness offering great pressure relief.
- Springiness of the latex makes changing positions easy.
- Open cell structure of the latex makes it breathable and cool to sleep on.
- Comes with a quilted cover filled with organic New Zealand wool for comfort and coolness.
- Medium-firm side of the mattress provides best level of support for people with back pain.
- Natural Talalay latex is springy and responds to every movement, providing great support.
- Latex provides greater support than memory foam.
- Doesn't allow your body to sink in so you can maintain good alignment.
- Good support all the way to the edges of the mattress.
How The Zenhaven Mattress Is Made Up
The Zenhaven mattress is organically and naturally made and as such is one of the most eco-friendly mattresses on the market.
It consists of four layers of 100% pure Talalay latex encased in a quilted organic cotton cover filled with organic New Zealand wool.
Both the latex and the cover have a breathable design to allow air and moisture to pass through and keep you cool as you sleep.
And the way the Zenhaven is made up means it's almost like you get two mattresses in one.
Because it's designed so that you get a different sleeping experience depending on which side of the mattress you sleep on.
So one side has a more supportive medium-firm feel but if you flip it over the other side has a softer and more comfortable medium feel.
Which is great as you can choose the level of firmness that suits your body the best.
It is able to achieve this with a symmetrical design where identical top and bottom layers sit on supporting middle layers of differing densities.
The Top and Bottom Comfort Layers
Both the top and bottom layers of latex are 1.5" thick and contain 5 zones with different densities.
This is great as it keeps the mattress firm where you need it to be but softer where you don't.
So you can be assured of a comfortable and supportive night's sleep whichever side you choose to sleep on.
The Middle Support Layers
The two middle layers of latex sit on top of each other and underneath the top and bottom layer.
These are both 3" thick and are what gives the mattress it's support and level of firmness.
However they both have different ILD (indentation load deflection) densities.
One has an ILD of 25-29 which means if you sleep on the mattress side where this is the middle layer directly below the comfort layer then it will have a softer medium feel.
However the other middle layer has an ILD of 30-34 and if you sleep on the mattress side where this is directly under the comfort layer then you will get a firmer medium-firm feel instead.
It's easy to know which side is which as they have labels attached telling you.
And the good thing about having two different feels in one mattress is you can experiment and choose which side makes your back feel happier during the night.
Is It Good For Your Back?
I think latex mattresses are a great choice for people with back pain as they have more bounce and spring to them than memory foam mattresses.
This makes them more supportive as they push back against you as you lie down rather than allowing you to sink in.
Which helps you to keep your spine aligned, relieves pressure and makes maintaining a healthy sleeping posture throughout the night much easier.
And the good news is the Zenhaven mattress does an especially great job of this.
As the natural Talalay latex used throughout provides great support responding to each and every movement that your body makes.
Firstly the comfort layer on top has 5 zones containing varying levels of density.
Which means you get the perfect amount of support exactly where you need it.
This means more support under your hips and shoulders which are areas that can come under a lot of pressure as you sleep, especially if you are a side sleeper.
Secondly the middle layers of latex provide strength and stability which will support you and stop you from sinking in to the mattress.
This will give you an elevated feeling as you sleep which will also help to relieve pressure on your muscles and joints and keep your posture healthy.
And this is especially good for people that like to sleep on their backs or their stomachs as it will keep them in a proper alignment and not allow their hips to sink in.
Finally the two different levels of firmness in this mattress gives people the option to get the right balance between support and comfort that suits them.
However if you want a mattress that will do a great job of supporting your back as you sleep I'd recommend only using the medium-firm side.
As medium-firm mattresses have been shown to be the best bet for people that suffer from back pain.
And the extra level of support this will provide over the medium side (it's 18% firmer) will make a big difference for your back.
However everyone is different and if you find you get enough support using the softer side then go with that.
All in all though I'd say the Zenhaven mattress does a really good job of providing support, relieving pressure and keeping your spine aligned throughout the night.
Which makes it a good option that will keep your back a lot healthier in the long run.
How Comfortable Is It?
So you've got support covered with the Zenhaven mattress but is it nice to sleep on?
The answer to that is a resounding yes and here's a few reasons why.
Sleeping on a latex mattress such as the Zenhaven gives you an elevated sensation that feels as if you are sleeping on top of the mattress rather than in it.
And this weightless and luxurious feel will give you are really comfortable night's sleep.
This is also great for relieving pressure on your body throughout the night.
Which will allow you to get into a deeper and more restorative sleep which is where your body is able to heal and repair itself.
And there are a few other features of this mattress that really add to the comfort.
Firstly having the two different levels of firmness is a real plus.
Because while the medium-firm side gives you great support, some people with back pain will prefer a softer feeling mattress to feel comfortable.
So if this applies to you then you can simply flip the mattress over and sleep on the medium side instead which is a lot softer.
Also the 5 different density zones within the top layers of latex means the mattress will be softer and more comfortable in areas where you don't need such firm support.
And the springiness of the latex makes changing positions during the night effortless.
Which all bodes well for a great kip!
Another thing to mention is how much cooler latex mattresses are compared to memory foam ones.
And this is especially true of the Zenhaven mattress as it has an open cell structure with strategically placed pinholes that keeps the air flowing through it.
This will help to regulate your temperature and keep you cool and comfortable as you sleep.
And the quilted cover is also breathable with a filling of organic wool that wicks away heat and moisture from your body.
While also being extremely soft and comfortable to touch and lie down on.
So if you're looking for a mattress that is as comfortable as it is supportive then you won't go far wrong with this one from Zenhaven.
Some Other Nice Features
The great thing about the Zenhaven mattress is it's about as organic and naturally made a mattress as you are likely to find anywhere.
As it is made from pure and natural latex throughout.
Which is not just good news for your health but is great for the environment too.
And Zenhaven are also kind to the environment during the manufacturing process as:
- The rubber tree sap that the latex is taken from is sustainably harvested.
- It is mixed with a small amount of non-toxic materials to turn it into Talalay latex.
- They use a water-based manufacturing process that ensures no harmful gasses or waste is produced.
- Each mattress is made in the USA rather than imported which means less of a carbon footprint.
- The quilted cover is also organically made and filled with organic wool.
So if being an environmentally conscious person is important to you then the Zenhaven mattress is a superb choice.
It's Healthy To Sleep On
Another benefit of buying such an organic and naturally made mattress is that it makes it an extremely healthy and safe one to sleep on.
And the Zenhaven is one of the healthiest mattresses you'll find because it's:
- Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certified as being free of toxins.
- Doesn't contain any VOCs (volatile organic compounds) which can lead to allergies, asthma, headaches, eye, nose and throat irritation, as well as damage to your liver and kidneys.
- Naturally hypoallergenic.
- Resistant to microbes, mould, bacteria and dust-mites, which makes it great for people with allergies.
- Doesn't give off a nasty chemical odour like some memory foam mattresses do.
These things will all help to keep the indoor air quality of your bedroom healthy and give you a great night's sleep without any side effects.
Latex is Really Durable
Being made from rubber tree sap makes latex an extremely durable material.
And when it's used in a mattress it's great.
Because the spring and bounce it provides means it will push back against your body weight rather than allowing you to sink in.
So this mattress will be able to retain it's shape and won't sag over time.
And we've all experienced saggy mattresses before right?
So latex mattresses are a much better bet in the long-term than memory foam ones.
And the pure Talalay latex used in the Zenhaven mattress is at the top of the tree when it comes to high quality latex materials.
So this mattress will last you for many years to come.
Cut Out The Middleman
The Zenhaven mattress is one of a new breed of mattresses that you can buy directly online.
Which is great as by cutting out the middleman you can save yourself a packet.
Because there are no costly commissions and department store overheads being added to the price.
In this way Zenhaven can offer a luxurious mattress that targets the higher end of the market at a fraction of the price of it's competitors.
However unfortunately there is still a $99 delivery charge to be paid unlike some other online mattress companies that offer free delivery.
120-Night Free Trial
Buying a new mattress is such a big and important purchase that you have to make sure you get it right.
For the sake of your health and your wallet!
So the 120-night home trial you get with the Zenhaven mattress is fantastic.
As you get 4 months to sleep on it and really decide whether it is the right one for you.
Which takes all the pressure off.
And if you do decide to return it within this period Zenhaven will collect it and refund you (minus the $99 original delivery charge).
20-Year Conditional Warranty
The Zenhaven mattress comes with a 20-year warranty that means you are protected for years to come which is what you need when making such a big purchase.
However it does come with a few caveats.
- Zenhaven will repair and re-cover your faulty mattress for the first 2 years after purchase (although you have to pay a $99 dolllar transport charge each way).
- Between 3-5 years they will replace it for 30% of the original cost of the mattress.
- Between 6-10 years they will replace it for 50% of the original cost of the mattress.
- Between 11-20 years they will replace it for 75% of the original cost of the mattress.
So this warranty is far from perfect.
In the cases where you need to get the mattress replaced Zenhaven will deliver you a new one and you can still keep your original one too.
However as latex is such a durable material and these mattresses are made to such high standards thew chances of running into problems are very low.
>> The Back On Site Verdict <<
So is it a yay or nay for the Zenhaven mattress as far as people with back pain is concerned?
For me it's a definite yay.
Because it provides a fantastic mix of comfort and support.
The Talalay latex used throughout is great for relieving pressure, keeping your spine aligned, and providing your back with great support all night long.
While having the choice between two different levels of firmness means that most people will find one side to sleep on that keeps them comfortable too.
So you'll get a great night's sleep on the Zenhaven mattress that will help your back heal, recover and stay healthier in the future.
And the added bonus is that because it's made of natural products it's a really safe and healthy mattress to sleep on too.
So if you want to treat yourself and your back give the Zenhaven a try.
After all you can always return it if you decide it's not for you.
- Mattress has 2 different comfort levels.
- Made from pure Talalay latex making it great for your health and the environment.
- 5 different zones of density of top layer makes it comfortable and supportive in all the right places.
- Moulds to your body but responsive enough to push back rather than letting you sink in.
- Good for pressure relief and keeping your spine in alignment.
- Open cell Talalay latex design is more breathable and cooler than Dunlop latex and memory foam mattresses.
- Great for back and stomach sleepers.
- Extremely durable and long-lasting.
- Hypo-allergenic, free from toxins and VOCs.
- 120 day home trial so you can give it a good test before committing.
- Mattress is very heavy (being made from latex) so can't be moved easily.
- The sensation of sleeping on latex isn't going to suit everyone.
- 20-year warranty is conditional.
- You have to pay a $99 delivery charge.
Overall Back On Site rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars